Monday, March 4, 2013

March 4th Menu Plan + Fried bananas recipe

Monday is here again, and we're back to being only three. So, this week I've had no help menu planning, so it's been back to my old and trusted recipes. I loved having G. around last week, and I so wish she could have stayed longer, but what can't be can't be, and I have to accept it.
Pity, because she was such a help!

I've decided to keep the "possible breakfasts" list, as I did last week, because it helped me a lot to actually eat breakfast! Also, I grabbed some dinner and snack ideas from there, so even when we felt like not following the plan, we had something loosely planned and did not have to run to the store for extras.


Monday
  • Lunch: Maccarroni with beef fajita's leftover sauce.
  • Dinner: Pork loin with salad.
Tuesday
  • Lunch: Strogonoff chicken
  • Dinner: Fish with seafood and caramelized onions.
Wednesday
  • Lunch: Fried rice.
  • Dinner: Mixed sandwiches (ham&cheese, Nutella)
Thursday
  • Lunch: Spaghetti with bacon, cheese and cream.
  • Dinner: Puff pastry roll.
Friday
Saturday
  • Lunch: Onion soup baked chicken drums.
  • Dinner: Scrambled eggs with whatever I have on hand.
Sunday
  • Lunch: Leftovers. Or maybe lunch at my in-laws, it's not sure yet.
  • Dinner: Soup

Possible breakfasts in no particular order
  • 3 minute chocolate cake-in-a-cup
  • Fried banana with chocolate ice-cream and drizzled raw honey
  • Mixed berries and strawberry yoghurt smoothie.
  • Eggs and bacon (this is so rare around here that we're not sure we'll dare!)
  • Oreo and chocolate milkshake.
  • Chocolate milk and biscuits.
  • Homemade lemon sponge-cake.
  • Mixed berry muffins.
  • "P ão de queixo" (I have the packet there, the just add water and egg kind, and I need to use it soon)

And today, as an extra and because I've been asked about it a few times, my decandent calorie-laden fried banana recipe:

For two servings (or a generous one!), you need:
  • Two bananas
  • 4 tsp honey
  • 2 scoops ice cream (I prefer chocolate or, in second place, stracciatella, but others should work too)
  • Oil to fry. I use olive oil, but any oil should work. The healthier the better, though!
Cut the bananas in half and then in half lengthwise. In a pan, heat enough oil to nearly cover each banana portion (in the photos you can see better how much; maybe a cm deep) and when it's hot, put the bananas. 

Lower to medium heat and fry for 2-3 minutes, then flip them and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes more. 
One side done, golden and crispy.

The less you cook it, the less sugar will be released; the more, the more sugar will get caramelized, so the bananas will get crispier. If you overcook them, though, they'll get soft instead of crunchy: not that they are bad this way, just harder to get out of the pan.
Chocolate and bananas go so well together.
While they are cooking, put one scoop of ice cream in a bowl. Top it with the fried bananas and drizzle a bit of honey on top. If you, like us, have raw honey that crystallizes in winter, put 4tsp or so in a microwave safe container and microwave it for 10 seconds. That should be enough.
Doesn't this honey look yummy?
 Eat fast so you can enjoy the cold and hot extra-sweet goodness.

Excuse the mediocre photo, I could barely wait to eat it.



A dollop of whipped cream on top would make it even better, but I opt to skip it so I can pretend it's a healthier dessert. What do you think? Want to try it? If you do, let me know!



Oath's Mom

2 comments:

  1. If only I liked bananas, then I would be trying your recipe! It looks delicious. Your dinners sound great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! I do not like bananas, but Oath will just eat a bit of one and the rest goes to waste if I don't eat it... and this way is the only one I enjoy! Now I should find something to do with the apples...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...